To volunteer, come along to our regular Monday & Tuesday work days between 8.30am and 3pm. The Friends weekend workday is on the 3rd Sunday of the month, anytime from 9am to 4pm. Please call Tony on 0400 770 254 to let us know you are coming and get directions.
We can tailor tasks to suit your interests and physical capabilities. This could be:
- planting trees, shrubs, climbers, ground covers and wildflowers
- preparing garden beds for planting by spreading mulch
- fostering good plant growth by weeding and pruning
- assisting in our plant nursery with potting and seed ‘cleaning’
- collecting seeds
- monitoring water quality in the lakes and lagoons
- helping record species in our monthly bird surveys
What’s in it for you?
- a great sense of achievement as you watch your work ‘grow’
- a good physical workout, especially if you take on mulching!
- tips on gardening and a better understanding of locally indigenous plants
- fresh air and beautiful surroundings
- that sense of communing with nature as you work to the sound of frogs and bird calls
- the good company of other ‘Friends’
What to wear and bring
You should wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty and robust, enclosed shoes or boots and bring a warm jacket in winter and a hat on sunny days. Bring your own lunch. We supply tea, coffee, cold drinks and all the equipment you need including gardening gloves.
Occupational health and safety
We will demonstrate good practice but you must take personal responsibility for your own health and safety and not place yourself or your fellow team members at risk of being hurt.
Tell us on arrival if you have an illness, injury (eg. sore neck or back), or condition (eg. asthma or an allergy) that might be aggravated by tasks so we can decide how you can participate safely.
To become a member of the Friends of Westgate Park fill in our online form:
For more information contact Lyn 0407 691 512