Water levels are very high in the main lakes, but lower in smaller water bodies. Pleasingly, almost all recently hatched Australasian Grebes, Dusky Moorhens, Eurasian Coots and Black-winged Stilts recorded in December are now healthy juveniles.
– The first record of a nesting Hoary-headed Grebe since monthly surveys began
– At least two Brown Thornbills (one seen, another heard) indicate this species is now a likely resident
– Three Nankeen Night-Herons: one adult and one immature roosting in a eucalypt beside the dam, and an adult flying over FOWP compound towards Wharf Road
– An unconfirmed distant call, possibly a Horsfield’s Bronze-Cuckoo
– A Common Bronzewing was observed earlier
photos: Andrew McCutcheon