The Saltwater Lake is no longer pink! We understand this is because we have had sufficient rain to reduce the salt concentration and the weather has been cooler.
Why has it turned pink in the last few summers?
As far as we know, it goes pink because of the natural interaction of a harmless, single cell micro green algae – Dunaliella salina – and an also harmless halobacterium – Halobacteria cutirubrum – in response to very high levels of salt, temperature and light. The red pigment; betacarotene is produced by the bacteria, allowing the algae to absorb sunlight and keep salt out of its cytoplasm. We are hoping to have samples of the water examined so these organisms can be properly identified.
If you do come to see the lake please do not trample on the salt marsh vegetation around the banks of the lake. And, whilst we understand the pink water is not harmful to humans, it is possible that the lake bed was contaminated back when the much of the site was a rubbish dump so please do not enter the water!